Landlord obligations can be tricky and get updated as legislation evolves. To help, we have gathered this list of crucial landlord obligations and regulatory musts for letting a property in Glasgow.

Landlord Registration

If you are thinking of letting your home, it is vital that you are aware of your legal rights and obligations. One of the first things you will need to do is register as a landlord with every local authority area that you let a house out in. You can find out more about landlord registration here.

When a property is advertised, landlords have to include their registration number in all adverts.

Checklist LM Margin

Download Our FREE Ultimate Landlord Compliance Checklist!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

The 23 things every landlord must know before letting your property

 Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

Before a tenant moves in there must be an energy performance certificate in place for most types of property. A copy of the certificate must be given to any tenant who moves in to the property. A valid EPC will last for 10 years and can be used for multiple tenancies within that period.  If the property has ever been bought or sold it may have a valid EPC and can be downloaded from

Gas Safety

Where there are any gas appliances in the property provided by the landlord, the landlord must ensure that annual gas safety checks are carried out. These checks must be carried out by a gas fitter/engineer who is registered on the Gas Safety Register and a copy must be given to the tenant before the tenant moves in and the check must have been carried out within the 12 months before the new tenant takes up occupation. All servicing, repairs or replacement of gas appliances or installations must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Electrical Inspections

Private landlords are responsible for ensuring that an electrical safety inspection of their property is carried out by a registered electrician at least every five years. The Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) reports on the safety of the electrical installations, fixtures and fittings

Electrical Appliances

Where a property is provided with electrical appliances it is the landlord’s responsibility to make sure that they are safe at the outset of letting. A Portable Appliance Test (PAT) on any portable appliances that you have provided by the landlord must be carried out.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Landlords in Glasgow are required to provide smoke alarms on every floor of their property and a carbon monoxide alarm in every room with a solid fuel source.

Smoke and Heat

The new rules about smoke and heat alarms in privately rented properties mean they need to be mains powered and interlinked. You’ll need to make sure you have sufficient smoke and heat alarms.

Fire Alarm Systems And Fire Precautions

If you supply furniture or furnishings with the let, you must ensure that they meet the fire resistance requirements, sometimes known as the ‘match test’ in the Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations 1988. There should be a symbol on your furniture to state that it is fire resistant. Where fire alarm systems are provided e.g. in a house in multiple occupation because the landlord is responsible for insuring fire alarms are checked regularly. You must also make sure that the means of escape from the property (normally the halls stairs and landings) are unobstructed. Houses in multiple occupation include shared houses, flats in multiple occupation, bedsits and certain types of converted flats.

Legionella Assessment

Landlords are required to perform a risk assessment for Legionnaire’s Disease. If they don’t do this they could be issued with a fine. However, the amount of risk assessment required depends on the type of property and landlords should be wary of claims that all properties need extensive water sampling tests


An inventory establishes the condition of the property at that moment in time and is an essential document that can be used to evidence damage from the time of tenant move in to move out. It is a must in any deposit dispute with a tenant.


If you take a deposit from a tenant under an assured shorthold tenant, the deposit must be protected under one of the three tenancy deposit schemes and the prescribed information regarding the deposit must be given to the tenant within 30 days of receiving the deposit.

Scottish Private Residential Tenancy – Lease Agreements and Tenancy Paperwork

The Private Housing (Tenancies) (Scotland) Act 2016 has been passed by the Scottish Parliament. The new Scottish Private Residential Tenancy (SPRT) delivers improved security of tenure for tenants and becomes the standard tenancy agreement between residential landlords and tenants replacing the most common types of residential tenancies in Scotland – the Short Assured Tenancy and the Assured Tenancy.

Download Our FREE Ultimate Landlord Compliance Checklist!
The 23 things every landlord must know before letting your property

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Tenant Information Packs

Landlords have to provide all new assured and short assured tenants a tenant information pack. The tenant information pack provides information about property condition, tenancy agreements, and the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants. Landlords that fail to provide tenant information packs to their tenants could face a fine of £500.

Repairs And Maintenance

Landlords are generally responsible for the maintenance and major repairs to a property. This includes repairs to the structure and exterior of the property, heating and hot water installations, basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary installations. You need to be aware of how you should arrange access to the property. You need to provide reasonable notice, of at least 24 hours and get their permission. Landlords have a duty to ensure that the houses they rent to tenants meet the repairing standard. Tenants will be able to apply to the The Housing and Property Chamber of the First Tier Tribunal (previously the Private Rented Housing Panel Scotland) for a ruling that their landlord has failed to meet that duty. If your property doesn’t meet the repairing standard, they will order you to carry out the necessary work. If you don’t, you could face a fine.

Landlords Insurance

There are various landlord insurance solutions available from Rent Guarantee to Boiler and Emergency Breakdowns. However a landlord’s buildings insurance is normally a condition of your mortgage lenders security and should include malicious damage of the property by a tenant thereby safeguarding your investment.